Dedicated to Solving Your Problems CONTACT MARK
A woman wears a yellow shirt


Mark Jeffers Sept. 15, 2021

According to statistics from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, there were 6,303 divorces statewide in 2019. Many changes occur after a divorce. As part of moving on, some divorcees choose to change their married name back to their maiden name. If you’re going through a divorce and considering changing your married name, consulting with an experienced Kansas divorce attorney is an important first step.

Jeffers Law Office is committed to providing knowledgeable legal guidance and reliable advocacy to clients in matters of divorce and name change. Attorney Mark Jeffers is available to discuss your unique circumstances and help you understand the benefits and drawbacks of changing or keeping your married name after a divorce. Mark will guide you through every phase of the legal proceedings and help you navigate crucial decisions.

The firm proudly serves clients in Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, Shawnee, Leawood, and Prairie Village, as well as throughout Johnson, Wyandotte, Miami, and Leavenworth Counties. Call today for a free initial telephone consultation.


After finalizing your divorce, you may be thinking about the next step in your life and all the changes you need to make. You may want to change your married name back to your maiden name. While some individuals choose to keep their married name, some divorcees choose to change theirs as part of moving on. Before changing your name, here are some things to consider:

  • Do you want to change back to your maiden name as part of an overall fresh start?

  • Do you still want to be connected emotionally, legally, or financially to your former spouse?

  • Does your married name or maiden name truly reflect the person you’ve become?

  • How will a name change affect your professional life?

  • Consider your children. Do you want your kids to keep the last name of your former spouse while you have a different last name?

  • What are the cost implications or potential complications of the name change?


Handling the name change process during your divorce proceedings remains the ideal option. To change your name as part of the divorce, all you need to do is include the name change request in the divorce paperwork. Conversely, waiting until your divorce is finalized may require filing another action for a change of name.


To file a petition for a change of name in Kansas when it was not inlcuded in your divore proceeddings, follow the steps below:

  • Complete the Civil Information Sheet by filling out the “plaintiff information section.”

  • Complete the petition for change of name by filling out the “Petition for Adult Name Change” document

  • Sign the petition for change of name in front of a Notary public

  • Make a copy and file the form with the clerk of the district court

  • Publish a notice in a newspaper saying you are changing your name

  • Attend your hearing and finalize the name change.

As mentioned earlier, it’s easier when the name change is part of your divorce process. The process will become more cumbersome down the road once your divorce has been finalized. You can always add the name change request as part of your Decree of Divorce.


Changing your married name after your divorce has been finalized can involve several complexities. It is important that you understand the statutory requirements, provide the required documentation, and update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA), your employer, and your financial accounts. All these steps can make the entire process stressful, even overwhelming. When considering changing your name after your divorce, reach out to an experienced family law attorney for proper guidance.

For more than four decades, Attorney Mark Jeffers has guided individuals through the complexities of divorce proceedings. As your legal counsel, he can evaluate your unique situation and enlighten you on the benefits and drawbacks of changing your married name after your divorce. Additionally, Mark can help you with all necessary documentation, including updating your name in all required places. Attorney Mark Jeffers will work diligently to ensure that your name change is legal and successful so you can move forward.

Contact Jeffers Law Office today to schedule a free initial telephone consultation with a knowledgeable divorce attorney. Attorney Mark Jeffers can offer you the detailed legal counsel and strong advocacy you need during this emotional time. The firm proudly serves clients in Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, Shawnee, Leawood, and Prairie Village, as well as throughout Johnson, Wyandotte, Miami, and Leavenworth Counties.